Monday 9 July 2007

Snowball, Buttercup and Snoozer

The directions to the hen lady’s house on Red Fen read like a child’s treasure map. Pass 2 lay-by’s, turn right at the sign for the tip, go 500 yards and turn left, count 4 telegraph poles, turn left again. The houses here were proper fen, inhabited by people who steered well clear of councils and planning permission, erecting low lying barns and bungalows and neighbouring them up nicely with a company of caravans and sheds. I was glad to be arriving in our tiny dented car. It didn’t bat an eyelid at the rutted, muddy lane that twisted and turned round potholes to the hen lady’s hastily erected higgledy-piggledy house. It felt perfectly at home parked amongst the scrap metal in the yard. When the huge toothy dogs had been taken into the house our girls fell out of the car all cheery at the thought of mud and a gate to climb by the horse paddock.
The white-legged hen lady, practical in shorts, pulled on her cigarette and smiled. Four long teeth, whiter than the others and looking like they had had something artificial done to them gleamed across at me. Three large turkeys gobbled noisily behind her.

“Got ‘em all penned up for you.” she said, leading the way towards the hen huts. The girls spied a brood of chicks scratching with their mother in the dirt and were off. We followed the hen lady over a concrete slab, past two mud-pits and a horse manure pile to where a clutch of hutches and runs had congregated in the long grass. One had our three bantam Polands in it waiting. Until yesterday they had never been cooped, had spent their whole little three-month lives running wild with their mother, scratching up biodiverse treats and getting lost in the hedges. Now, behind a makeshift door of board and a brick they sat in a legless rabbit hutch waiting to be tamed.

The hen lady stubbed out her cigarette, reached down and shifted the brick. A wild flap of wings as her hand reached in. Fluttering squawks, a scratch of claw, and the first hen emerged. Then, in her capable hands, a hushed bird sat with its extraordinary puff of a head resting on her wrist, its smooth buff breast laced with white, its eyes just visible beneath the feather crest like small dark worlds unblinking.

I had never seen a crested Poland before. We had decided on them purely on the advice of a gardening friend who said that Polands were the best of all bantams at being held by children. I knew that they were friendly, and had been warned about the hairstyle. In a magazine, even strutting in a farmyard, I would have looked at one and said ‘Ridiculous’. But in my fingers the downy crest felt rather marvelous. And they peeped so charmingly, and sat so softly against the breast. They even traveled well in the car.

Oh dear, looks like I’ve gone and bought the poodle of hens, all fluff and feathers. The girls, of course, adore them. Every morning and every evening we go, all four of us, Mummy, Daddy, girl 8, girl 3, on a leggy procession to the bottom of the garden to let them out and put them up, and in between we visit them several times, poor hens, because we like the stroke and peep of them so very much.One is pure white, the other two are chamois laced with white, one a big-breasted ball of butter, the other a sleepy dozer. They should start to lay about Christmastime. Snowball, Buttercup and Snoozer.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

They sound wonderful. Good luck with the laying. They are very tying so I hope you have good neighbours!!

Crystal xx

Bluestocking Mum said...

How exciting!!
I wish we had hens-not allowed in our grade 2 *listed barns!! I have been promised that when the boys leave home and we downsize to the welsh hills I can have a couple of chickens and ducks!

Lovely stuff as always Eden

warm wishes

countrymousie said...

They sound lovely. Never heard of the Poland one before. I expect my dad has as he is heavily into his chickens!
Dont have chickens myself as am overrun with foxes here. I couldnt cope with the grief of it all if they got got!! I rely on dad for my free range eggs.

mountainear said...

Lovely evocative blog - particularly enjoyed your description of the hen-keeping community. Fen land is a part of the world I'm completly unfamiliar with. It sounds not so much Wild West but Wild East.

Hope you enjoy the banties.

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

I have wondered what happened about your hens. Remember the henhouse blog very well and the great picture! Our chicks have been hatched by a friend and we should have them either this week or next so i shall do a hen blog too. Yours sound lovely which is very encouraging.

Chris Stovell said...

That's a really enchanting blog. Beautiful descriptions. Hope the girls settle down well.

@themill said...

Magical Eden.

Mutterings and Meanderings said...

Mmm, the Fens are indeed another country.

I remember going to report on a car being pulled out of (I think) the Ramsey 40 foot dyke, containing a Whitemoor prison officer's body...

CAMILLA said...

Hello Eden,
Forgive me, but sometimes I get you mixed up with CCA, alias Chicken Licken who lives in Norfolk, I believe you are both writing that book? Your blog is truly magical, my daughter was thinking about "keeping hens".
Camilla.x

Eden said...

very spooky mutterings and meanderings. I believe it. You don't mess with the real fenmen.

annakarenin said...

Just had a look and they are rather fancy. I want a legbar or Araucana (sorry haven't a clue about the spelling) for their blue eggs even though I find both birds rather ugly. We are going to get a white Sussex as well because I think they are lovely looking birds combined with the fact that they lay well and we don't half get through some eggs.

The fruit blog was delectable.

laurie said...

how lovely! the whole thing.

Frances said...

A very late Friday good evening to you Eden.

Thank you so much for your comment.
I am so working so many hours right now that I find it hard to keep up with pleasures such as good writing.

Good writing. That is what you have always done, and continue to do. Very good writing.

I do love the collecting of the hens. You still have that way of letting us in on the intimate details of the experience.

Shamefully, I must admit that I have not the energy to read your other recent blogs tonight, but pledge to give myself the luxury of reading them soon.

Lots of shop stuff going on. I still believe that something grand is just over the horizon.

Enough for now. But again, thanks for writing and for writing to me.

xo

P.s. I keep thinking of my Virginia childhood with the weekly delivery of eggs to our back door from Harshbarger Henhaven Farm.
Sometimes, it is hard to believe that this happened in the same lifetime!

Rob Clack said...

Great post, Eden! I keep toying with the idea of keeping poultry. Probably never will, but if I ever did it would have to be something good to look at.

Cait O'Connor said...

Just caught up with yuor blogs,I don't know how I have missed them lately. Your writing is just lovely.
Caitx

Posie said...

A lovely blog, hens are such characters, yours sound lovely, have fun with them.

CAMILLA said...

Hello Eden,
I was thinking about you yesterday and thought I would pop in to see if you are alright, do hope so.
How is the book going by the way. I used to love your blogs when we were over the other side, I believe you live in Norfolk too.
Sending you my best wishes.

Camilla.x

CAMILLA said...

Thank you so much Eden for your comments. Wow, how great is that, a book, I would like to know when the publishing day arrives, so that I can rush out and buy it, I think others here would too, well done.

Yes, I live in Reepham which is not far from Walsingham, about 30 minutes by car I think. It is a shame they closed the Sue Ryder Home, and that lovely little Tea/Room in the high street, I used to love going there. Have been to The Shrine, and lit candles for a very dear friend of mine. Good Luck with all your writing Eden.

Camilla.x

Tattieweasle said...

Oh so glad you got the hens hope they are laying well! Mine are up to no good. I suspect they have decided to disappear in order to keep their eggs and I'll be inundated with late chicks to nurture all through the winter!

Exmoorjane said...

I am coming round to hens. Never liked them but the ones next door are very sociable ladies who chirrup at me while i collect my raspberries ( i toss them the odd one or two - hoping that they're OK for hen stomachs...I know nothing).
Miss you being around, Eden. Hope the book has worked out well and that your new project is exciting. Catch us up with your news some time...pretty please. jxx

CAMILLA said...

Dear Eden,

Do hope you had a wonderful Christmas, miss you not being at Purplecoo I expect you are so terribly busy. How is the writing going? would be lovley to know when book will be published.

We were going to be moving nearer the coast to Wells in Norfolk, but it all fell through, so we hope to find a property within 6 months now.

Wishing you and your family Eden, a very HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Love and Best Wishes
Camilla.xx

Milla said...

Just a forlorn little wonder what you were up to.
all the best
CCXX