Friday 29 June 2007

One Bite of the Pear

Birds singing after the rain. The breeze is toying with the trees again, reaching between the branches like a devilish cad laying those ladies low. The supple apples arch their backs like women caught in the last high kick of a tango. The rose tips kick the short neat kicks of a can-can girl. The dark-leafed crab shoots, girlfriends in a crowd of screaming fans, wave in unison at the pop idol up on stage. The garden swoons, seduces, swoons. All the while the breeze plies its caddish trade in titillation. It will leave them, when the fun is spent, and who will they tell, the girlfriends silent now in solidarity. The dancers unmade up, putting their glistening costumes to bed.
Dalliance. The elements tease and please and depart each other’s company. The breeze allures by touch, the trees by sound and sight – the red leaves glistening bright, the green leaves blushing pink at the tip, all of them whisper and sush. “All things allured God to make them.” wrote the poet Thomas Traherne. Desire is at the heart of things. No serpent I expect was needed to tempt our mother Eve. The apple’s own plump perfection, the blush on its cheek, its smooth dappled skin, its satisfying crunch, the promise of its scent -- all these would have sufficed. Temptation enough in the nature of the thing to make one want to pluck, and palm and taste.
My three year-old knows this. She cruises the fruit bowl fingering each fruit, weighing apples in her two small palms, feeling the hairy bristles of the kiwi, the thin bruisable skin of the pear. Her touch incarnadines the nectarine’s blush. She samples everything. She takes a bite, then puts it back. Plucks a grape satisfyingly from its stalk and bursts its juice in her happy mouth. When I enter the room she starts, looks guiltily at me for her sentence. Sometimes I banish her from the garden, send her crossly to sit on the stairs, angered by the waste of food. Sometimes I do not. Because there is a real pleasure in the pluck of a grape, because I remember that one bite of the pear is all one ever wanted.

17 comments:

Faith said...

Scrumptious, as always!

Un Peu Loufoque said...

so very beautifully written...and so true!

Unknown said...

Beautifully written. Made my mouth water!!

Anonymous said...

A lovely blog. Glad you're back, I was wondering where you were!

Crystal x

Bluestocking Mum said...

You do write some little gems Eden...Lovely stuff.

My little one used to do exactly the same.

warm wishes
xx

Suffolkmum said...

That so reminds me of my 3 year old. Loved the juice bursting in her happy mouth. I don't dare venture into the ravaged jungle that is my garden. Thomas Traherne sounds he would appeal to me, my father was shocked that I hadn't heard of him, but I'll admit my ignorance. Lovely to see a new blog.

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

glad to see you blogging and love this. my son used to do this too but doubt if i was as understanding as you are. I always heard the dread word waste ringing in my ears.

Woozle1967 said...

So very beautifully written, Eden, and it made my mouth water too! Good to have you back - have missed you.xx

snailbeachshepherdess said...

lovely to see you back, lovely blog

CAMILLA said...

So beautifully written. My granddaughter loves fruit, she has a passion for peaches.
Camilla.x

Frances said...

Eden, those words of yours just tumble, delicious temptations all.
You write beautifully and it is intriguing to see your other voice.
I have missed your blogs, and hope that all has been going well with your other writings.
How is the hen condo?
As usual, I also enquire about that Marlowe woman. Have the recent rains washed her miseries away?
I had raspberries tonight, but do not think that mine were as scrumptious as the fruits that your daughter relished.
xo

Pipany said...

Lovely to see you back, Eden. Your little one sounds just like Lucy (otherwise known as the fruit monster). How she loves too graze on all the goodies xx

@themill said...

Wonderful Eden. Your writing humbles me with its beauty.

Pondside said...

Thank you for that lovely break in the afternoon's routine! I read and re-read and pictured the little one's guilty pleasure. I couldn't ask for a nice treat than your blog!

Exmoorjane said...

Very beautiful Eden. you are such a poetical writer. Every time I read you I think I must read Traherne.....maybe now we've moved and there will (hopefully) be more time. Sometimes parts of your writing bring Manley-Hopkins to mind. I'm not good with poetry but his caught my imagination when I was a teenager and some of his rhythms still play in my head.
Ah, your daughter would love the bottom of this garden - so full of fruit it's bursting and we don't have the hands to pick or jars to fill. And yes, sometimes one bite is all we want....(though maybe I'm greedy but I'd like a glut of blogs from you perlease!)

Tattieweasle said...

I try do hard to refrain from exploding when The Boy does exactly the same - but at 4 an apple can be awful big and so much nicer to share....

MILLY said...

A beautiful Blog Eden. I followed your link and read some of the Thomas Traherne ,"Centuries of Meditations". I knew it must be special. It made me think of my A level English literature , the Metaphysical poets , although that is such a long time ago now.
Hope you and your girls are having some fun, and all is well in your world. Milly x