Thursday 7 June 2007

Prunus pruning

The gardening frenzy is on and in our village it’s not just the weather. The announcement of the date for Open Gardens Day (this year in aid of RDA) has plunged the participating gardeners into a whirling dervish of plan and counterplan. The date stares firmly from every diary – threat to the novice, challenge to the keen, promise to the most accomplished—but to all, like laughter lines and baggy eyelids, now unavoidable.

Pippa, whose garden, good sort that she is, is made available year after year, invited me over for a lazy coffee over half term. Her son Hugo, my Houdini and my 8 year-old scrabbled about in the garden getting muddy in the hen coop, chalking a blue and yellow dusty scooter racetrack on the terrace, throwing sticks for the fetching lab. Most of which landed, naturally, in the herbaceous borders, expertly positioned between delicate delphinium leaves and snapping peony shoots so that maximum collateral damage could be achieved by bounding paws.
“HUUGOOO!” Pippa shouted from the kitchen. The spots on the Emma Bridgewater teapot jumped to attention.
“Heigh-ho,” she sighed, rubbing her forehead, “time to make some willow shelters.”

For Pippa, Open Garden Day means not so much exciting new plans and designs or trips to the garden centre or planting up new plants as it means running a protection racket. She spends hours constructing beautiful willow wigwams and tepees around the delicates, her garden sprouting twiggy bunkers till it looks like a dwarf Indian village. And still the balls and dog paws come crashing through. Observing her mounting frustration as the day approaches has probably been the main deterrent from me throwing my lot in with the rest of the brave band and opening mine too (well that, and the fact that my Latin plant names are not entirely up to scratch, oh yes, and that neither is my garden).

Last year I took my darling nearly-deaf mother, who was visiting from America round the village gardens.
The artist’s garden was fascinating. Tucked away behind a small cottage on the high street, the artist’s garden is a series of little outdoor rooms made up by hedges and low walls, steps up here, a path down there. Different textures underfoot, sudden changes of colour, scent and light. Around one corner a hidden henhutch suddenly clucks to life, around the next a swirling sculpture on a pole swings towards you in the wind. There are stained glass windows hanging from the trees and phrases of poetry embedded in the terrace. You feel you could spend hours there and never see it all, could approach the same room twice from different angles and think it was a new one. The artist hid under his hat in the shade of his apple tree, with a reticence I like to think more shyness than contempt. No conversation was required.

Proud across the street, the Old Rectory, with its shiny as a new penny family, opened its gates verbosely. Printed notices directed you on a set route. Labelled trees spread their ancient enormous arms. The lady of the house, brunette chatter on heels, swooped to my mother’s side
“Welcome,” she smiled, warm and hostessy, “I don’t believe I’ve seen you in the village before,”
“Thank you,” my mum smiled warmly back.
Disconcerted by this non sequitur, Chatter arranged her hair, arranged the large rings on her fingers, proceeded undaunted with the tour.
I do not explain my mother’s deafness to people we meet. What am I supposed to say – hello, this is my mother, she’s deaf– as if her deafness is the single quality by which her rich and varied life should be described? She is my own darling, still standing tall mother, who likes English gardens, and kept a fine garden herself in her day. I let them figure it out for themselves.
But sometimes I do have to laugh.
From hollyhock to cornflower, across more lawn to rose bed we followed our talkative guide. Under the dark foliage of a large cherry my mother looked up admiringly,
“Do you like Prunus?” asked the lady of the house.
“Sometimes,” my mother looked querulous, “at breakfast.”
“I just love them,” Chatter raved, heels sinking suddenly into the lawn, slinging her drunkenly off balance, “perfect answer to the winter blues.”
“I have problems with regularity too,” confided my mother discreetly.

15 comments:

@themill said...

Welcome back. As good as it ever was. Hope the work went well.

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

Love your description of your mother and the chattery lady and your point about not mentioning her deafness - so often sweeping assumptions are made about people based on a tiny thing that in no way reflects the rich variety of their life. I, too, am partially deaf, and I know what it's like to be introduced as "This is LBD - she can't hear".

countrymousie said...

Hi - so glad you are back - keep giggling about your mother - sorry - my late mother in law was very deaf - wore one of those hearing aids on her chest - her third boob we used to call it - she would walk around going oooh, oooh, testing, testing!! The whistling that came out of it - anyway - just made me laugh.
She would mishear all the time - chicken kievs were called chicken kevins - and still are to this day!! love mousie

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

good to read this again, i loved it last time too. welcome back.

Exmoorjane said...

Lovely to have you back, Eden, have missed you.... Hope you had a wonderful trip.
Love your mother and the prunus! I missed this one first time round so an added treat. Janexx

Bluestocking Mum said...

I loved this one-Think I said before, I think every village has a 'Pippa'!

Hope America went ok and look forward to hearing more.

warm wishes

snailbeachshepherdess said...

loved the blog ..lovely to see you back

CAMILLA said...

Lovely blog dear Eden, so nice to have you back with us again. I missed this I think before Eden,so pleased to see it this time around. You mentioned Hollyhocks, I adore them, they are such a good old fashioned plant.
Camilla.xx

Woozle1967 said...

Hi Eden - good to have you back! Ah, the dreaded Open Gardens! Our village is holding one (after a break of 8 years) next year to boost the coffers of the village hall. Last time around, it was the weekend that we moved in and the previous owner had got the garden ready, so I didn't have to do a thing. Next year's totally different - ooooh, the pressure!xx

Gwen said...

Nice to hear from you again Eden. What interesting Open Gardens you have. Our village also holds these days, but ours is a little on the tamer side.

Posie said...

Brilliant blog, made me laugh,. your mum sounds a character.

annakarenin said...

So funny the prunes bit. They used to have a garden crawl in my old village in aid of the village Lifeboat but it was very low key, my garden went on for the last two years we were there as a work in progress!!Got rather tiddly on Pimms in one of my friends garden last year then had to rush back to my own and try to remember what the plants were.
RachelX

Pipany said...

Hi Eden. Hadn't read this one before, so something of a treat. Hope all is well with you xx

Milla said...

Eden! I want a new one!!!! Pleasey.

aminah said...

this made me laugh!!! thank you!