Tuesday 22 May 2007

My catcher's mit

“It’s the best day of my life” said my eight year-old yesterday afternoon as we got home from school. She had just been chosen for tag rugby, the first ever indication (merest hint) in her life that she might, just might, be half-way good at ball games. A ballet natural, a swimming enthusiast, a cycling and skootering fanatic, she has never had much confidence with fast flying balls. I put this down to my own similar inadequacy hence lack of encouragement and practice in ball games. A little slow on the maternal uptake here, I am only just beginning to see that they might matter. Hugely.

Mention ‘balls’ and before I can type the second apostrophe around the word, there are blogs bashing the back of my brain, crying to be let in – the green and white cricket on the green blog, the ridiculous bottoms up fumbling in the hedge for the lost ball blog. None of them I am going to write today because as well as having a splendid game of tag rugby to watch with Baby Houdini scouring the perimeter of the field for hemlock and yew berries to suck, I also have my neighbour’s three children to watch after school into the evening whilst their mother takes their dad to the hospital and back; and then a huge homework project to supervise and cakes to burn for the school cake stall whilst I run upstairs and chip away tediously at the last two bits my patient editor is waiting for; and then when the clocks in America say I may, my lovely deaf mother to ring and shout at slowly. And all those balls in the air this day are enough to catch.

But the thing my palm is itching for, the thing that, if it stuck, I’d tuck to my chest and fold my shoulders over tackling tomorrow to preserve, is that look she tossed my way. Perched on the teetering edge of her seat, her body bursting with buoyancy -- “…the best day of my life.” Oh to be so sure that this one moment you’re living is the one you love, before the game’s begun or won or anybody’s even pinned your tags on. Just the possibility enough. That’s the look she tossed. Thank God I had my catcher’s mit on.

29 comments:

bodran... said...

What a lovely blog eden you are so poetic?? a wonderful way with words..xx

Bluestocking Mum said...

Bless her-I remember how touched I was reading this vefore-you do paint such a lovely picture of her. I had just learnt what 'tag rugby' was.

And it was good to catch up on your Postman blog-still makes me laugh out loud.

You are very clever Eden.

warm wishes
x

Inthemud said...

Such a lovely blog! Hope she is still enjoying the games

@themill said...

Those just home from school moments were the reason I was so glad I was there at the end of the school day. I would've hated a childminder/nanny to steal those moments from me.

Un Peu Loufoque said...

I have no idea what tag rugby is but anything that makes a kids glad to be alive with that fantastic gong to burst feeling it brings has got to be fun!

Chris Stovell said...

That's super - well caught Eden.

Suffolkmum said...

Oh those looks, the triumph .... you are so deft with your words (and your catching!)

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

And those best days stay with you.

muddyboots said...

after school chats with your offspring are wonderful, it puts you in touch with that part of their life you have little control over.

Anonymous said...

Children are so precious aren't they. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could record these moments to watch over and over again. They play tag rugby at my daughter's school, it sounds very exciting.

Frances said...

Hello from New York, Eden, and many thanks for your comments.
Hope that you and the family are entering into early summer stages with your usual energies and spirit.
Please do write us about the hens.
Hoping that all your other projects are going well.
Free time is so precious!
xo

Pondside said...

It's so good that realize how much it means that you were there with your catcher's mitt! Those are the moments that don't come around again. I was very glad to be reminded of the ones in my life.

Eden said...

Put a link in for you Un Peu, with a photo of a tag rugby player who looks altogether more robust than my skinny limbed little tike.

Anonymous said...

wonderfull blog jep xx

MILLY said...

So lovely to read . I know that look so well. You took me back to a Hall full of infants and a huge box of coloured balls . The satisfaction of mastering those ball skills, throwing and catching and bouncing. The sheer joy on those little faces when they finally cracked it! Magical moments, if we could capture them, you do in your writing. Milly x

CAMILLA said...

As ever, a wonderful blog dear Eden. Those thoughts of games will remain with you. You definately are going to be a novelist, wonderful writing of descriptive words.
Camilla.xx

Hazed said...

this made me smile and sigh. kids are grand...and so are mits

Gwen said...

This is the sort of thing that your kids will look back on in years to come with warm nostalgia. How wonderful of you to give them these memories.

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

This was great. I found it amazing and exciting to find that I (last picked for netball/couldn't catch/couldn't hit/always faintly scared of balls) had produced rugbyplaying, gracious, strong and confident son who drew balls like a magnet and regards them as a moving extension of himself. hope your girl has fun.

Exmoorjane said...

C'mon, contact next!!! Loved this first time, lovely catching up with it again but yearning for the 'New Eden'.....but know that's naughty as you need to focus on The Book and other things.....
Jxxxxxxxxx

Exmoorjane said...

Forgot to say, how supersmart you are with your links! You taught me, and now I am such a flippertyjibbet(sp???) that I type too fast and forget!!
jxxxx

Tattieweasle said...

I'm catching these for the first time and I am totally in awe. Would that I could be half as deft!
Despite the fact that chickens are the last thing on your mind at the moment should you ever need some the offer stands...

Woozle1967 said...

Hi Eden - finally caught up with you. So glad you are here.xx

Maggie Christie said...

I'm just having a lovely time catching up with your blogs. You do have a wonderful way with words. I had a good laugh at the postman one.

countrymousie said...

Extraordinary blog - I re-read it twice - on this dreadful rainy day - you are so talented.
The Heiress isnt talking much yet, but last Sunday she tried a sentence on me about a huge big dog - it came out "huge blog" but it was a catcher!! We had seen a Great Dane - I know Pondside - he is everywhere.
love mousie - on the drag as usual

Faith said...

Ah sweet little thing! Hope I havent had my best day yet - I can look forward to it! Had plenty enough bad days, but dread the worst.

rivergirlie said...

that was a good catch - and a great post

Pipany said...

Hello again, Eden. I hadn't read this one before and it is lovely. No good at all with the ball games myself and, like you, have realised too late the importance to the littles. Ah well, there has to be a limit to what you feel bad about doesn't there!!!! xx

Grouse said...

Beautiful! Just simply beautiful, Eden!