Wednesday 9 May 2007

Their Magic Eyes

We’ve got company. And it’s two too many for me. Both of them are nice people, kind people, generous people. They’ve driven down from Scotland to see us. They’ve been the epitome of perfect guests, trinkets for the children, bought me a David Austin rose for the garden. Sceptered Isle -- a pink rose in that gorgeous loose old English rose shape with a musky scent. It even repeat flowers. So I feel lower than a paving slab admitting my frustration at their being here.

Thing is, they’re people for whom a Saturday at a National Trust house counts as a day in the country. For me this is emphatically not so. Anything involving queues and car parks starts me off on the wrong foot. Walking on a neat gravel path with two families in front of you and three behind wanting to walk at different paces, needing passing places for buggies. This is not, in my book, a country walk. It is not decent family time. It is not freedom or space or wonderment. Much as I love the National Trust (the card in my wallet, if not the sticker on my car), a perfect spring Saturday was meant to be taken somewhere else. But guests must go where guests want to go. Hey ho.

“May we be finding a hungry place?” my two-year old said when the crowded path had opened into space enough for the millions to mill about.
“Sorry? A what?”
“We may be finding a hungry place?” she repeated with the syntax rearranged.
I took this to mean, roughly translated, “I’m peckish”.
I’m hungry too, I thought. Hungry for more of you, my sweet, for more of us. For less of this.
“She’s peckish,” I pulled on my husband’s sleeve a little grumpily. (The friends are his fault).

It is perhaps one of the geniuses of childhood that children just take what they need. On the way to the inevitable café, the eldest spied the gate to Narnia under a bush, ducked in and called. The two year-old naturally followed, dragging me along. What bliss. We hid. We burrowed way back into the undergrowth, found some furniture made from tree stumps the previous occupants, speaking Beavers undoubtedly, had left behind. “Magic!” the eight year-old said, scooping up fallen leaves, rolling them between her palms till they fell to the ground in crumbs. “Magij” the little one replied, doing the same. When we had made ourselves some brown leaf tea, cooked and eaten twig biscuits, and gathered enough nuts and berrystones, green leave salad and pinecones for the winter, we made soft pine-needle beds, slept in them (for all of two minutes). And started the day again. Bliss my babies. I love you.

I bless them for taking me along. And that leggy old laurel for laying its arms at quirky angles along the ground, lying like for fifty years to make itself the open den. The smell from the blossom, the leaf mold and moss. What joy my children bring me. I bless their magic eyes.

17 comments:

Pipany said...

Oh Eden, you are so lovely! Your blog for today almost made me cry, it was so beautiful. Yes, the children are everything aren't they? Your older daughter has delicate arms that look so like my little Lucy's. I have finally sent you that recipe! Lovely catching up again xxx

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

Children help you to remember what it is so easy to forget . . . . and in case anyone was wondering the couple from Scotland do not belong to Purplecooooo team!

countrymousie said...

Eden, you are magicj with words - you really are. How lucky your little loves are to have you.
I do love David Austin roses - I appear not clever enough in my blogs to get the links to click so you can go to the websites etc as you do.
I am now restless for the Heiress to talk this talk! love mousie

Bluestocking Mum said...

You do write the most lovely things Eden. So touching and you are so right-children are everything...

warm wishes
x

Blossomcottage said...

Lovely blog Eden, I tried to leave you a comment this morning, but try as I may I could not find how to do it, but now there are some others it was easy, that's the problem with being first in the queue,I am too dim to know what door to open!!As my Grandson said to me the other day when I was half way up a very high ladder onto a combine harvester" This is another Great Idea Granny".
Blossom

Posie said...

Wow, found you at last Eden, I have missed your blogs! What a lovely blog today, love the idea of you hiding away with the children and them taking you off to their magical world.

Withy Brook said...

Eden that was lovely. You took us with you from the nightmare of the overcrowded NT place to the secret magic of the children's world. Thank you........

CAMILLA said...

Wonderful Blog Eden, love your magical descriptive words.I adore children, and to be amongst them and be in their world, is heaven.
I love David Austin Roses, especially the PINK ones, planted Madame Gregoire a climber in February, cannot wait for it to show it's blousy heads.
Camilla.xx

Suffolkmum said...

It's so refreshing to catch up with these!

MILLY said...

Found you at last . Loved this blog first time I read it .Milly x

Kitty said...

Lovely babies, lovely Mary. Lovely blogs. Thank you, lovely Eden.

Holy Way said...

have aleays wanted to go to Narnia and meet Mr Tumnus too - how very wonderful for you ...so glad you were rescued by your childrens joy of the mystical and magical.

Thank you so much for the lovely quote from 'Silence'. It really spoke to me.

@themill said...

Lovely blogs Eden, as always.
Not a NT fan as they will not let me include my 22 year old mentally handicapped daughter on our family membership. She has to have her own membership, even though she can't go anywhere without me. Needless to say have cancelled my membership.

Withy Brook said...

I've already commented on your blog - this is to say that my Viburnums in the Ribes bed, as I call it, were there when I arrived 27 years ago. They are a bit boring, and grow rather loosely and have a fairly ordinary flower, but if I keep cutting them back they fill their allotted space! The Ribes likewise - it is not that nice dark one and is ancient.

Faith said...

Oh Eden, Eden, nobody writes like you. Ditto everything Pipany said up to... beautiful.

@themill, that is so entirely unreasonable - how can they justify that? I HATE that sort of thing!

Exmoorjane said...

Lovely, lovely..... I often hide away in NT places....Sometimes lovely, sometimes full of the most ghastly people imaginable.... Still wince at the memory of being roundly told off for James and the Mistress of All Evil being loud and snippy in a NT cafe.....

David Austen roses very gorgeous....ah, when we move....
jxxxxx

annakarenin said...

Found you on @themills blog thank goodness. Lovely blog can just imagine it.

We have a Pashley pickles, currently ridden daily to nursery by no 3. No 1 loved it so much that he only got round to riding a two wheeler a couple of months ago. Unfortunately the only photo I have of it currently is accompanied by naked rider. Will have to try and get one when he is decently attired and pop it on my blog.