Monday 14 May 2007

The Postman's Pants

Never lend your husband’s clothing to another man. I did that last month. Leant a pair of gloves to the village postman whose fingers were perishing. It was the least I could do for a man who is my main connection with non-edible consumer goods of every kind. I confess, I am a catalogue queen. Whenever I feel guilty about this I remind myself how much money I am saving in petrol and parking (not to mention how vastly I am shrinking my carbon footprint – practically the size of a geisha’s). Garden supplies, children’s toys, soft furnishings, clothing, gadgets, everything, it seems, that we do not immediately consume (and even a fair bit that we do – Inverawe smoked trout and salmon— fight over the last morsel) can come to me at the click of a mouse.
When the phone rings I suffer from a sudden attack of familial deafness. When the postman or DHL man knocks, I thrill. A parcel. For me? How perfectly lovely. I like signing the little bits of paper they produce. It almost makes me feel as if I have a secretary. Print here sign there. Madam. Vanish flour dusted apron and cords, and yanked back hair; enter alternative me in a neat suit and bob. For that one moment I hold the pen.

And then there is the delicious menu of choices the catalogues afford. The Garden menu – David Austin’s Shropshire Lass or The Countryman on the terrace trellis? Those deep dark tulips from Parkers this year? Or the crimson? Followed by the clothing menu – Boden again – reliable with a light seasoning of playful -- or the slightly more exclusive if less about town Brora? Yummy skirts that make tweed flirt, cashmere to die for. (Or at least give up your monthly membership at the not quite local health club for). And the secret side benefit of shopping by catalogue -- you avoid looking at your thighs in a badly lit (by that I mean unflatteringly – shall I say brutally, lit) dressing room.

Which brings me back to the postman. Gloves were one thing. A simple act of charity. He returned them a few days later, silently, posting them through the letter box so that when I returned from wherever I was they could be run over conveniently by the pushchair, immediately at home again in their rightful chaotic mileu of childmud and floordust. But last week in our brief unseasonable pretence of summer it was shorts. Poor postman on laden bike rings, then in the shuffle of envelopes and packets, drops small parcel onto floor. Instead of getting off the bike, which is heavy and difficult to balance, he leans forward to pick up parcel still astride the bike. Either he has eaten too much curry last night or his shorts (that have not seen the light of day since last year) catch on part of the bike, because there is an audible rip from somewhere near his seat. Am just beginning to be grateful again for onset of familial deafness when I see his hand instinctively check out the seat of his shorts.
“Oh god, torn um haven’t I” he says.
Do I let this denizen of postal provision cycle off home in tatters, his smalls on show to the entire village? Perhaps I should have, but I do not. I glance at his girth, make a quick calculation about the size of my husband’s old cut off cycling shorts (not of the Lycra Rob variety) and invite him in to change.
I thunder up the stairs, have a quick rummage in chest of drawers and descend already wondering if I have done the wrong thing with a capital WR.
“Look, try this pair,” I say sliding my hand round the door of the downstairs loo as if he were my self-conscious ten year-old son in a high street changing room. Half chagrined and half relieved, he re-emerges, hops on his bike and speeds off, absentmindedly leaving his torn shorts behind him (more ten year-old there than I thought).

These same shorts I folded, left ready in the porch where they hung around waiting for the opportune moment. When out of the corner of my eye I caught a glimpse of a red bike go past the window this morning I hurried to the porch, grabbed the shorts and, wanting to catch him this time before he had gone, shouted, not very loudly, but loud enough.
“Here. The shorts. You left them the other day.”
There she was. Old Lady Marlow. All ears and eyes, all techni-colour memory and mouth of her. Right there across the road from me, stick, cardigan and sensible tie-up shoes included. With a cat that got the cream look written on her face. The rotten luck of it.

25 comments:

annakarenin said...

just left my comment on your previous and got a little confused guess you must have been posting as I wrote. Came back to say the girls are lovely and look what I find whoopee I get to read the postman's pants before bed time a wonderful treat.

@themill said...

Just as funny second time round. Hope the other projects are going well.

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

loved this one last time and great to read it again, also your NT one. As Jane says sometimes they are marvellous and sometimes dreadful but the hiding is the answer.

Suffolkmum said...

This one was such a competition winner in my view! But I know we've left that far behind now. Hope your other stuff is all going wll and you've hit the deadlines etc.

Milla said...

Don't understand! Thought you had posted a "nutty" blog and was envisaging squirrels, or children waving empty bags triumphantly while walnuts skiddered all over the floor...

Un Peu Loufoque said...

Our parcels get left at the village tabac as we live in the wilds. It is very strange getting a phonecallfor teh barman to tell me DHL have dropped a little something for me to pick up next time I am in the village.

Eden said...

Sorry, milla, meant 'nutty' as in little bit mad.

Pipany said...

I love this one, Eden. You are such a talented writer. Hope all is well with you xxx

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

Laughing out load . . . .well done you! Hahahahaha

Inthemud said...

Loved this blog first time round, still makes me laugh!
Strangely odd coincidence though I was thinking of this very story that you told only this morning when I was looking back in my mind over the last couple of months and all that has gone on with our blogging and some of the great stories I'd read and this is one of them!

DevonLife said...

hee hee tongues will wag along with fingers. missed this first time around

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

btw would love an update as to how you are finding having chickens. our eggs are just about to hatch under our friend's broody hen so getting closer now!

Blossomcottage said...

Very good, well written very readable and funny.
Blossom

CAMILLA said...

Dear Eden,
That is so amusing, and you write so well, how is the project going by the way.
Camilla.xx

Frances said...

Hello to you, Eden.
Thanks for your comment. True, I have been a bit stretched recently, but today was a day out and I am gonna try to write it up so everyone can share my "day in the country."
Best wishes to you and your family.
xo

Pondside said...

I missed this first time around so really enjoyed it this evening! Can just imagine the village tongues wagging!

Fennie said...

Lovely tale. Why are postmen (and postwomen) always so happy, helpful and apparently carefree? Could it be the exercise?

But I worked once, when I was a student, delivering things and I found that most relaxing.

Frances said...

Early good evening to you Eden.
Your comment is much appreciated. Yes, those sorts of days remind me of how many other folks do work very hard to make our company a bit different.
It has been grand having two other days on my own. I did actually get my sketch book out and do some pencil studies of the herb plants still alive on my south-facing window sill. And some other enriching bits, as well.
Best wishes to you and your family, and ... the Marlowe woman!
xo

Anonymous said...

Excellent! What a good feeling when the postman brings a smile. And the parcel you've been waiting for..

MILLY said...

LOvely to hear from you Eden. Hope you have managed to complete your writing projects and all is well with you. How are those two pretty girls,and did you manage to get some hens? If you have had as much rain as here your veg garden will be flourishing.And of course,your postman blog is a pleasure to read.
Milly x

Boolbar said...

Village eyes are creative things. T. and I often wonder what our near neighbours are up to, doing their strange things. I bet they all think we are a pair of weirdos as well.

Great blog by the way!

Grouse said...

But just think how your stock has gone up!Quite the hot potato!Couldnt find you on the list! You seem to have dropped off! Then I thought to track you through your (lovely) comment on mine.

countrymousie said...

You must keep some pants to hand him when she is next looking - really sexy litle things - go the whole hog I dare you!!I think I have a similar relationship with our Link delivery man - he seems to be here everyday, sometimes twice if GOH has actually got a look in and ordered something.
He comes looking for me in the garden now if he can hear the mower - I know all about his family, his girlfriend - etc - its getting quite silly.Until I had that particular conversation I thought he was gay!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.